Chef John Besh stands for something.
I like that.
I also like what he stands for. Family.
It’s All About Family
The recipes are simple, yet delicious. The dishes are things that you can make at home. And many of the recipes are general methods of cooking that can be applied to many kinds of dishes. For example, there is “Risotto of Almost Anything” and “Creamy Any Vegetable Soup.” I find this approach of a cookbook very helpful.
In My Family Table, Chef John Besh also makes an excellent argument for the need we have to return to the kitchen. For the sake of health. For the sake of families. Indeed, the book really is “a passionate plea for home cooking.” He also gives us a peek into his own family life and how home cooking has made him who he is today.
He even has a chapter in the cookbook entitled “Sunday Supper.” 😉
Drop Biscuits – What Could Be Easier?
These biscuits are a snap. You can make them in just a matter of minutes. Delicious!
- 2 cups flour (I prefer King Arthur)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 5 tablespoons butter (I prefer Kerrygold)
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- Preheat oven to 400. Sift together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a large mixing bowl. Use a fork to cut the butter into the mixture. Stir in the milk and gently mix until the dough comes together.
- Drop the dough onto a baking sheet or a baking stone by spoonfuls, leaving enough space between each biscuit for them to expand. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the biscuits are golden brown.
#SundaySupper – Inspired Dishes By Your Favorite Celebrity Chefs!
I have lots of friends who just love to cook for #SundaySupper, and they are coming together this week to cook up some recipes inspired by their favorite celebrity chefs.
Just in case you aren’t familiar with #SundaySupper, let me explain. #SundaySupper was started by my friend Isabel of FamilyFoodie.com to help bring families together Around the Family Table. (I thought my choice of Chef John Besh’s My Family Table was perfect for this week!) #SundaySupper is a wonderful mission, and it’s something I feel very passionate about. This is a great group of folks, and I am proud to be among them.
Starters or Snacks:
- Martin at ENOFYLZ Wine Blog – Oyster and Brie Soup and Wine Pairings for Celebrity Chef #SundaySupper
- Linda at The Urban Mrs. – Inspired by Bobby Flay, Lobster Chowder with Roasted Corn Salsa
- Erin from Dinners, Dishes and Desserts – Rachael Ray’s Cinnamon Popcorn
- Cindy over at Cindy’s Recipes and Writings – Jamie Oliver’s Bread and Tomato Soup
- Jeff at The Catholic Foodie – Drop Biscuits – Breakfast with Chef John Besh
- Renee over at Kudos Kitchen By Renee – Giada De Laurentiis’ Garlic Toasts With Red Pepper Aioli
The Main Dish:
- Sheila at Cooking Underwriter – Paula Deen’s Chicken in a Crock Pot w/ Sauerkraut and Apples
- Laura over at Small Wallet Big Appetite – Martin Yan’s Beef Chow Fun
- Claire at The Realistic Nutritionist – Alton Brown’s 40 Cloves and a Chicken
- Sarah over at Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends – Michael Symon’s Lola burger with crab tater tots
- Susan at The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen – Ina Garten’s Baked Shrimp Scampi
- Katy over at Happy Baking Days – Mary Berry’s Treacle Tart
- Tammi at Momma’s Meals – Lee Drummond’s Sloppy Joe’s
- Lane over at Supper for a Steal – Bobby Flay’s Rosemary Bricked Chicken
- Tara from Noshing with the Nolands – Michael Symon’s Pork and Apple Scallopini
- Shannon at Country Girl in the Village – Simple Red Sauce over Rigatoni. Inspired by, Debi Mazar and Gabriele Corcos
- Kris over at In the Kitchen with Audrey and Maurene – Rachael Ray’s Muffin Tin Meatloaf
- Nicole from The Daily Dish Recipes – Paula Deen’s Slow Cooker Pulled Pickled Pork Sandwiches
- Becca from It’s Yummilicious – Ina Garten’s Grown Up Mac & Cheese
- Alice at Hip Foodie Mom – Sunday Pot Roast with Risotto Cakes from Kelsey Nixon
- Jen over at Juanita’s Cocina – The Neely’s White Turkey Chili
- Brianne from Cupcakes & Kale Chips – Crockpot Beef Pot Roast with Mushrooms inspired by Giada DeLaurentiis
- Isabel at Family Foodie – Polenta with Garlicky Shrimp inspired by Chef Todd English
- Wendy from The Weekend Gourmet – Shrimp Penne in Pesto Cream Sauce, From Emeril Lagasse
- Bobbi over at Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen – Cheesy Poblano Chicken
- Patti at Comfy Cuisine – Tyler Florence’s Chicken Francese
- Chris from Sustainable Dad – Pork Tenderloin with Jerusalem Artichokes and Negroni Vinaigrette
- Roxanne over at The Roxx Box – Jambalaya Pasta with Penne, Chicken, Shrimp and Andouille
- Sue from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz – Rachael Ray’s Spicy Corn Chowdah Mac ‘n’ Cheese
- Jamie at Mama Mommy Mom – Penne with Asparagus, Smoked Gouda and Prosciutto. Adapted from, Giada De Laurentiis’
- Tora over at Tora’s Real Food – Pork and beans with Alton Brown’s pickled pork
- Elizabeth over at The Hand That Rocks The Ladle – Emeril’s New Orleans Style Red Beans & Rice
- Megan from I Run For Wine – Curtis Stone’s Acorn Squash Roasted with Thyme
- Sandi over at Midlife Road Trip – Gabriele Corcos’s Gnocchi di Patate
- Shelby at Diabetic Foodie – Orange Pecan Black Rice, adapted from Ina Garten
- Katie from She likes Ruffles, He likes Truffles – Chef Fabio Viviani’s Spinach and Artichoke Risotto
- Kim over at Cravings of a Lunatic – Chocolate Cream Puffs with Hazelnut Filling
- Renee over at Magnolia Days – Brownie Tart
- Connie at The Foodie Army Wife – Inspired by Ree Drummond – Scrumptious Apple Coffee Cake
- Paula over at Vintage Kitchen Notes – Bill Granger´s Cherry Tart
- Pam from The Meltaways – Savannah Sheet Cake
- Amber at Mama’s Blissful Bites – Huggy Buggy Bread Pudding
- Jaime over at Mom’s Test Kitchen – Southern Tea Cakes
- Amy over at Kimchi MOM – Crack Pie, I Can’t Quit You
- Lyn from The Lovely Pantry – Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Squares
- Melanie at From Fast Food to Fresh Food – Sand Tarts
- Martin at ENOFYLZ Wine Blog