Poinsettia Cocktails & Family Christmas Traditions
I recently wrote that there’s nothing like tradition to bind a family together. And I meant it. Tradition and faith go hand-in-hand. So do tradition and family.
You may recall that one of our all-time favorite cookbooks was written by Chef Emeril Lagasse and Marcelle Bienvenu. It’s called Louisiana Real & Rustic, and the pages are tattered and splattered from all the hard-core kitchen use we have put it through over the years. It’s autographed by both authors, but we don’t keep it on a shelf to preserve it. Oh no. We use it like crazy, taking those autographs to be some kind of culinary blessing from master chefs!
Emeril and Marcelle wrote a holiday cookbook together too… a Christmas cookbook. And the title? Well it’s Emeril’s Creole Christmas. We have tried a few recipes out of that cookbook, but there is one in particular that we tried for the first time about 4 years ago… and it stuck. It became a Christmas tradition. One that we look forward to every Advent. Poinsettia Cocktails.
Christmas is a Season, Folks!
As Catholics we live by seasons. Advent. Christmas. Mardi Gras (if you live down here in South Louisiana! 😉 ). Lent. And Ordinary Time.
Christmas is a season! It is not just one day!
It is proceeded by the Advent season. But starting on Christmas Eve, the season of Christmas takes over… until the feast of the Epiphany, January 6. So, for 12 days we celebrate Christmas. It’s like Christmas day for 12 days in a row!
And I can’t think of a better cocktail to celebrate such a wonderful season. The Poinsettia Cocktail is reddish in color, just like the beautiful Poinsettia. It’s also light, not too sweet, and it is very refreshing. The twist of orange adds an extra hint of spice to this smooth cocktail. Highly recommended!
Just one VERY important note. Like with most dishes that you really want to savor, the ingredients can make it or break it. Do yourself a favor. Use good vodka. Use good (or at least decent) Champagne. And use real cranberry juice! You will certainly taste the difference. And this delicious cocktail deserves to be be poured correctly. 😉
- 1/4 cup vodka
- 1/4 cup Champagne
- 1/4 cup cranberry juice
- Crushed ice
- 2 strips orange zest, each about 1/4 inch wide and 2 inches long
- Combine the vodka, Champagne, and cranberry juice in a large-stemmed red wineglass.
- Add crushed ice and stir until the mixture is well chilled.
- Twist the orange strips over the glass, drop them in, and serve.
Makes 1 cocktail.
The Sunday Supper Team is having a Holiday Cocktails and Appetizers party and we would love to have you join us this week! We have an amazing assortment of recipes to put together a fabulous holiday party on any budget. We are honored to have Conni from The Foodie Army Wife hosting our Party. We hope to see you Around the Family Table Sunday at 7pm Eastern Time.
- Glühwein from Magnolia Days
- Cookies-n-Cream Cocktails from The Urban Mrs
- Cranberry Fizz from Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Rosemary Orange Punsch from Galactopdx
- Candy Cane Martini from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Raspberry Hot Chocolate from Momma’s Meals
- Chocolate Peppermint Eggnog from The Daily Dish Recipes
- Jamaican Sorrel from The Lovely Pantry
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate Spoons from Chocolate Moosey
- Homemade Eggnog from Flour on my Face
- Moroccan Mint Tea from MarocMama
- Cherry Bomb from Noshing with the Nolands
- Wassel from There And Back Again
- Cranberry Sparkler Mocktail from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Pomegranate Cosmo from Supper For A Steal
- Poinsettia Mimosas from Big Bear’s Wife
- Mulled Wine: Spiked and Steamy from Daddy Knows Less
- Poinsettia Cocktails from The Catholic Foodie
- The Red Carpet Diva from Cooking Underwriter
Holiday Appetizers or Hors d’oeuvres
- Cheese Ball Wreath from The Meltaways
- Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese Tarts from My Catholic Kitchen
- Prosciutto Goat Cheese Rolls with Fig Preserves and Arugula from Shockingly Delicious
- Muenster and Spinach Pinwheels from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Drunk Moose Meatballs from The Foodie Army Wife
- Smoked Salmon Blinis with Cranberry-Spiced Feta from Chattering Kitchen
- Sticky Wholegrain Mustard & Ginger Cocktail Sausages from girlichef
- Potato Leek Soup from What Smells So Good
- Cheesy Mushroom Pull Apart Bread from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- 5 Quick & Easy Appetizers for Your Holiday Party from Webicurean
- Bacon Peanut Caramel Corn from Gotta Get Baked
- Crostini topped with Voodoo Chicken Cream Dip from Country Girl in the Village
- Mushroom Strudel from Vintage Kitchen
- Roxanne’s Shrimp & Andouille Sausage Queso Dip from The ROXX Box
- Herbed Holiday Party Mix from Curious Cuisiniere
- Old fashioned Swedish Meatballs from I Run For Wine
- Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Bites from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Fried Green Beans with Wasabi Ranch from Juanita’s Cocina
- Salsa Baked Cheese from Home Cooking Memories
- Cookie Dough Dip from The Cookie-A-Day Challenge
- Parmesan Onion Rounds from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Lip-smacking Cranberry Cocktail Meatballs from In The Kitchen with KP
- Hot Spinach Parmesan Dip from Comfy Cuisine
- Indian Spiced Tuna Balls from Soni’s Food
- Onion marmalade with Bacon from Ruffles and Truffles
- Sweet Potato Dip from Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Festive Cucumber & Ginger Sushi Rolls from The Ninja Baker
- Baked Brie from Family Foodie
In honor of the Sandy Hook victims and their families, we have cancelled our regularly scheduled #SundaySupper Chat this week.
Let this be a time when we renew our faith in the power of love and realize the importance of time with our families.