Pieces of Eight/Cheese Cookies – my grandmother would make these and send them to us every Christmas when we lived in Germany!
- 8 oz sharp or extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 stick butter or margarine
- 1/2 teas. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper – maybe less if it is for kids
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 and 1/2 cups rice crispy cereal
- 1/2 cup toasted and chopped pecans
- Paprika for dusting only
- Grate the cheese (do not use pre grated cheese to save time – it has a nonstick filler in it – it will not stick together!) and butter into a bowl along with all the other ingredients.
- Let all ingredients come to room temperature, then mix together.
- Roll into small balls (approx 1 tsp) and place on cookie sheet – press thumb into each cookie .
- Sprinkle with paprika for color.
- Bake 15-20 minutes at 325 degrees.
- Cool completely before scarfing them down – they need to crisp up!